Friday, April 26, 2013

Friday Rant

Friday Rants are opinion pieces sent in by readers of this site. They do not necessarily represent the views of anyone at this site. Send in your rants, they don't really have to be about anything.

This week's rant comes from Trey Garcia. He's got something to say.


Times are not what they used to be.  We used to be at the mercy of what rock magazines your parents would buy for you, as well as what rock magazines convenience stores and grocery stores would even carry.

Metal Edge, Circus, Hit Parader, those were the big ones.  There were always other magazines that would come and go, and the always famous band centric magazines that would come out to cash in on a band’s sudden success.

We were also at the mercy of radio and music television.  Which basically means we were at the mercy of fucking Riki Rachtman.  The good old days.

Defining punk rock is an almost absurd thing to do, so I’m not even going to start there.  For me, Morrissey is as punk rock as [sic].  That’s right, the godfather of all things emo is a true and true punk rocker who was at the Sex Pistols infamous first show at Manchester’s Lesser Free Trade Hall that put a spark into all that were in attendance.  Morrissey was also the President of the United Kingdom New York Dolls fan club.  I digress…

There were record stores then, and I had five dollars and some change in my pocket.  Passing through racks of albums four men looking at me with the name of the band ‘Metallica’ caught my attention, as well as the $5.98 price tag.  My father reluctantly let me purchase the album and I could not wait to get home and play it.

Most of the album is solid enough, but it was the last two song medley on Garage Days that caught my attention and changed the course of my musical direction which up until then was revolved around poppy and new wave acts like Wang Chung and Culture Club.  Note:  Wang Chung’s album Points on the Curve is a very underrated new wave album.

The last song on Garage Days is Last Caress/Green Hell, a cover of the Misfits, and the song that got me interested into what the pundits have labeled punk rock but I will always claim, much like Billy Joel, that is still rock and roll to me.

Reading up on album reviews after playing the album’s last song over and over on my record player I found out more about the Misfits and their enigmatic singer, Glenn Danzig.
Less than a year after purchasing Garage Days, I purchased Danzig’s self-titled debut on cassette.  This was shortly after I went to my first rock show, Iron Maiden on their 7th Son Tour.

It was Danzig’s voice that carried me through many lonely nights, and though I still had not purchased any Misfits albums it was Danzig by way of Metallica that really got me to appreciate the punk ethos.

Looking back now, and just to further my point earlier of how difficult is really is to define punk rock, is that each punk rock band has their own special niche.  While The Misfits were more horror/comic book inspired gothic punk, bands like The Minutemen and Black Flag and Dead Kennedy’s carried political statements.  The Pistols of course were just in your face anti-establishment, and the Dead Milkmen just cracked me up.

It was the Milkmen that I was introduced to next after the Misfits.  We had went to Corpus to visit my cousin and when he, my brother, and I were together we’d trade tapes, I still have the Bucky Fellini tape that I traded my cousin for, I think I gave him my Anthrax I’m the Man EP for it. 

Of course, Punk Rock Girl had gotten much play on MTV, and in the 80’s actually may have been the first time those of my age had heard the phrase ‘punk rock’.  My cousin also had Never Mind the Bollocks on cassette, I was interested in that as the first version of Anarchy in the U.K. that I had heard was off of Megadeth’s album So Far, So Good, So What.

This is why I believe in no delineation between punk and metal, honestly – and why when I speak of my appreciation for punk it is because of my initial early love of all things metal, specifically some good old fashioned thrash.

Send your piece to punkisok@yahoo.com or send it in on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment